Recipe Name – Coffee cotton sponge cake
Introduction – This coffee flavor cake is spongy, fluffy and light as a feather. This cake is a perfect companion of tea/coffee. So let’s learn to make it.
What all do we need?
- 5 medium eggs (white & York separate)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 65 gm whole milk
- 10 gm instant coffee
- 50 gm oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 100 gm refined flour
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 18 cm round cake tin
- Wrap your cake tin with aluminum foil. This step is required as this cake is a slow baking cake and too much heat is not required here.
- Grease your cake tin with butter or oil and line with parchment paper.
- Preheat your microwave oven on 140 degree Celsius.
- 1st of all separate your egg white and York carefully. Ensure egg white does not have even a drop of York in it.
- Mix instant coffee and milk well. Use warm milk so that coffee is mixed properly.
- Mix egg York, coffee mixture, oil, salt and vanilla essence together and make a smooth mixture. And now sieve refined flour in the mixture and mix well to make a smooth batter.
- It’s time to beat egg whites and sugar together. Start beating eggs using electric beater and add sugar 1 spoon at a time. Beat till the time egg white and sugar mixture reaches soft peaks.
- Take small amount of beaten egg whites and fold in the refined flour batter. Add more eggs white mixture and fold again. In the similar way, fold all eggs white in the refined flour batter and make a smooth batter.
- Now transfer this batter in the cake tin slowly to release large air bubble. Use tooth pick or small stick to release more air bubble (check out video to understand this step).
- Put your cake tin in the preheated oven on 140 degree Celsius for 60 minutes and after 60 minutes increase the heat to 150 degree and keep your cake for 10 more minutes till the time cake top is golden brown.
- Let your cake cool down completely before you demold it.
- Your coffee cotton sponge cake is ready. Serve with team/coffee and enjoy.
- Ensure bowl and beater blades are properly clean before you start beating your egg white and sugar together. Even a bit of oil or fat content can affect your egg whites.
- Removing air bubble is very important else this cake will break on top due to too much of air created in the egg whites.
- Do not mix beaten egg whites in the refined flour batter rigorously. You have to fold them together.
- This is a slow baking cake so have patience.
- After the cake is completely cool, it will sink in. Don’t worry, it is very normal with this cake.