Recipe Name – Eggless Pav Buns | Ladi Pao | Dinner Rolls
Pav or pao means small loaf of bread. Ladi pao’s are used in many famous street food in Mumbai & Maharashtra like Vada pao, dabeli, pao bhaji etc. These feather light pao buns are super addictive and you can easily make them at home. Home baked pao’s are definitely out of the world. So let’s get started.
What all do we need?
- Milk – 200 ml
- Dry active yeast – 2 teaspoon ( 5 gm)
- Sugar – 1 tablespoon (11 gm)
- Refined flour – 2 cup (250-270 gm)
- Milk powder – 1 & ½ tablespoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Butter – 4 & ½ teaspoon (25 gm)
- Milk for milk wash – 2 tablespoon
- Extra Refined flour – ¼ cup (while kneading the dough)
- Oil – 1 tablespoon (for brushing the dough)
- Baking pan – (9&7 inch) for 9 Pav’s
- First of all, we need to activate yeast. Add sugar & yeast in 200 ml Luke warm milk. Stir gently and keep it in the warm place for 10 minutes to activate. You will froth on top of milk after yeast is activated. If this does not happen, try again.
- Mix refined flour, milk powder, baking powder and salt together and then add activated yeast mixture. Mix everything well.
- Now lightly dust the clean kitchen top using refined flour and take out the dough for kneading. We need to knead the dough for 15 minutes total.
- Dough will be sticky which is perfectly normal.
- After 5 minutes, add room temperature butter in the dough and keep on kneading the dough for another 10 minutes. Kneading the dough is very important to activate the gluten for making feather light Pav.
- After 15 minutes, dough will be less sticky and manageable.
- Take a bowl and lightly grease it using oil, dump kneaded dough in this bowl, lightly grease the top of the dough as well and then cover bowl using plate or plastic wrap.
- Keep this bowl in the warm place for dough to proof. This will take 45 min to 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, dough will rise to almost double of its original size.
- Lightly dust the proofed dough and punch it down. Take it out on the dusted kitchen top and knead for another 5-10 minutes till it is smooth in texture.
- Divide the dough in 9 equal sizes (you can use kitchen weighting machine) and make a ball.
- Keep these Pav balls in the greased baking pan and cover with damp kitchen towel. And let the rise 2nd time in the warm place. 2nd proofing will also take 45 min to 1hour.
- Preheat your oven on 200 degree Celsius.
- Give mix wash to the proofed Pav buns and let them bake for 20-25 minutes on 200 degree Celsius or till you see nice honey color on top.
- Take out the Pav buns, coat them with butter when hot. This will make buns top soft and will also make them shiny.
- Cover with kitchen towel and let them cool down completely before demolding.
- For demolding, run knife on the edges and gently take them out.
- Feather light Pav buns are ready. Use them to make bada Pav, dabeli, malasa Pav, bun maska etc.
- Keep them covered on room temperature and consume within 2-3 days.
Tips & tricks:
- If you have kitchen thermometer, use to it to check the temperature of milk for activating yeast. It should be between 32 to 37 degree Celsius.
- If you do not have the kitchen thermometer, follow the wrist test. Drop Luke warm milk on your wrist (inner side), if it hurts milk is too hot. If it feels ok, temperature is perfect for activating the yeast.
- Kneading the dough is very crucial and important step so do not skip it.
- Always keep your bread covered while storing to keep them soft.