Recipe Name – Eid Special ~ Reshmi Sewai (Dry Sewai)
Eid celebration is incomplete without sweet sewai. There are many ways of preparing sewai, some make milk sewai, some relish sugar syrup sewai but my mother-in-law will always make these silky, fragrant dry sewai. You can say that I am biased but honestly they are my favorite. I am super excited to share this lovely recipe with all of you today, so let’s get started.
What all do we need?
- 50 gm sewai (thin vermicelli)
- 50 gm coconut (desiccated or grated or chopped)
- 50 gm Khoya (Whole dry milk)
- 25 gm Ghee (clarified butter)
- 100 gm sugar
- 25 gm chopped cashew nuts
- 25 gm chopped almonds
- 25 gm chopped raisins
- 1 teaspoon green cardamom powder
- 2 tablespoon rose or kewada water
Important Tip: You can use following proportion to make this recipe for more quantity as well as well
- Sewai (vermicelli) , Coconut & Khoya (whole dry milk) quantity will always be equal
- Sugar will always be double of sewai (vermicelli)
- Ghee (clarified butter) will always be half of Sewai (vermicelli)
- Break long strands of thin vermicelli and then roast them in the ghee till their color changes to golden. Continuously stir Sewai while roasting them on low to medium flame to avoid burning them.
- Once nicely roasted, remove sewai from the pan.
- Now boil 1 cup of water separately, add sewai in the pan again and pour half of the boiling water in the sewai. Switch on the gas after pouring water.
- Cover the pan and let sewai cook on low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and check sewai if they are cooked or not. If not, add remaining hot water, cover the pan and again let sewai cook on low heat for another 2-3 minutes.
- Please note : adding water to sewai is a very critical & tricky step as we want to cook sewai but at the same time we don’t want them to become soggy because of too much water. So add water very carefully, little at a time. Chew sewai strand to check if sewai is cooked perfectly or not. If it feels little hard or sticks to your teeth, it means it needs little more cooking.
- Once sewai are cooked to the perfection, add sugar and mix well. Cover the pan and let sugar melt on low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- After 2-3 minutes, uncover the pan and you will see water in the pan released from the sugar. Dry this water content on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Once sewai are dry enough, add dry fuits, coconut & cardamom powder mix well and again cover the pan and let sewai simmer on low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- After 2-3 minutes, uncover the pan and then add crumbled khoya , mix well, cover again for 2-3 min on low heat.
- At last uncover the pan, stir sewai once last time, switch off the gas. Sprinkle Rose or kewada water on sewai and cover the pan for 5 min so that sewai absorbs the fragrance of rose or kewada water.
- Reshmi Sookhi Sewai are ready to be served.
- Store these sewai in the refrigerator and when serving microwave for 30-40 seconds only.