Recipe Name – Instant Dahi Bhalla
Introduction – Dahi Bhalla are the most loved snack item all over India particularly north India. Process of making bhalla is cumbersome and tiring but this recipe will allow you to make fluffy and soft bhalla’s that too instantly. So let’s get started.
What all do we need?
- 200 gm Dhuli urad daal
- Pinch of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon heeng
- Oil to fry bhalla
- Green coriander
- Mint leaves
- Green chilies
- Amchoor powder (dry mango powder)
For Meethi chutney:
- Imli pulp
- Corn flour
- Kishmish (dry grape)
For garnishing while serving:
- Garam masala
- Red chili powder
- Roasted jeera powder
- Ginger Julienne
Method (Making Bhalla)
- Dry roast dhuli urad dall on medium flame. This is required to just remove moisture from the daal as we are going to powder it.
- Ensure that while dry roasting color of daal is not changed so continue to stir it.
- How to check if daal is ready? Take few lentil in mouth and you will feel that crunch, it means it is ready. If it is sticking your teeth, it requires little more roasting.
- One daal is ready, let it cool and then grind it to make a fine powder.
- Sieve daal powder once to remove fine particles of daal from the powder.
- To make the batter, add salt in the daal powder and add water little by little to make a fine paste. Daal powder should be on room temperature while making batter.
- Ensure there are no lumps in the batter. You can even beat batter and sieve it once to remove any lumps. This will ensure silky smooth batter.
- Let the batter be little loose (not too loose) and let it sit for 30 minutes before making Bhalla. Consistency will change after sometime.
- Now batter is ready to fry bhalla, add pinch of baking soda and mix well for 2 minutes.
- Take oil in the kadhai, let it come to medium high and drop dollops of daal batter to fry bhalla.
- Fry bhalla on medium high heat till they are golden brown. Remove on kitchen towel.
- Bhalla’s are ready.
- To make green chutney, grind green coriander, mint leaves and green chilies with amchoor powder, salt and tablespoon of water. Taste and balance as per your preference.
- To Make Meethi chutney, add water, imli pulp, sugar, salt, kishmish, chirauji and corn flour in the pan and keep the pan on low heat. Mix everything well and keep on stirring till the time it is bubbling and thickens. Taste to adjust ingredients to achieve that sweet and sour taste.
- Please watch my recipe video to understand the process of making chutneys.
Method (Serving Dahi Bhalla)
- Mix pinch of heeng with the tablespoon of water. Add this heeng water in the half a liter of room temperature water and soak bhalla’s in it.
- Soak bhalla’s only before serving. These bhalla’s will take only few minutes (max. 4-5 minutes) to get ready.
- Now it’s time to serve. Squeeze bhalla with light hands to remove water. Arrange on plate and garnish.
- For garnishing, mix small amount of fine sugar and pinch of salt in the beaten curd and mix well. This will cut down the sourness of curd.
- Pour curd on top of bhalla, add green and meethi chutney on top as per taste preference.
- Sprinkle salt, garam masala, red chili powder, roasted jeera powder. Garnish with ginger julienne and pomegranate seeds.
- And your instant dahi bhalla are ready to be served.
- Ensure daal powder is super fine so sieve if you feel small particles of daal ever after grinding.
- You can keep this daal powder in air tight container and can make bhalla super-fast whenever required.
- While making batter, ensure that daal powder is on room temperature else too much of lumps will form in the batter.
- Add pinch of baking soda in the batter just before frying bhalla’s and mix well for 2 minutes. This will create air in the batter and bhalla will be soft and spongy.
- Do not soak these bhalla’s for more than 5 minutes else they will become too soggy.