Recipe Name – Kachri Mutton
Kachri mutton is one of the less known recipe from Rajasthan but in flavor it is no less than Laal maas or junglee maas. Kachri is a wild small melon used for its sour taste in chutneys and as a meat tenderizer. This single ingredient is the hero of this dish and let me tell you, you will become fan of this recipe forever. Let’s learn this simple yet delicious mutton recipe with me today.
What all do we need?
For marinating mutton:
- 1 Kg mutton with bone
- 4 tablespoon kachri powder
- 1 & ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 & ½ tablespoon garlic paste
- Half cup curd
For Cooking Mutton:
*Whole dried spices
- Cumin seeds (jeera) – 2 teaspoon
- Green cardamom – 5-6
- Black cardamom - 2
- Bay leaf (tez patta) – 2-3
- Star Anise (chakri phool) – 2-3
- Dried red chili - 2
- Black pepper corns – 10-15
- Clove (long) – 5-6
- Asafetida (heeng) – ¼ teaspoon
- Fennel seed (sauf) – ¼ teaspoon
- Nutmeg (Jaiphal)– 1 small piece
- Cinnamon stick (daal chini) – 1 inch
*Dried powdered spices
- Kashmiri red chili powder (for color) - 2 tablespoon
- coriander powder - 3 tablespoon
- Garam masala - 2 tablespoon
- Red chili powder - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - ¼ teaspoon
- 300-400 gm thinly sliced onion
- 1 cup oil
- 8 green chilies
- Salt for taste
- Lemon juice - 2 tablespoon
- Ghee - 3 tablespoon
- kewada water - 2 tablespoon
- Chopped green coriander
- Marinate mutton using kachri powder, curd, ginger & garlic paste for minimum 5 hours or for 8 hours.
- For cooking mutton taken large cooking pot & pour half cup of cooking oil to heat up. Please note kachri mutton is not to be pressure cooked.
- Once oil is hot enough, add dried whole spices and let them crackle for few seconds. Now add sliced onions and fry till they are pinkish golden not golden brown.
- Now add marinated mutton with green chilies and mix everything really well. Fry mutton for 10 minutes or till you see oil coming on surface. While frying mutton with onion, add two tablespoon oil.
- Keep on scraping the bottom of the pan to avoid masala sticking to the pan.
- After 10 minutes, add dried spices and salt and again mix everything really well. Add two tablespoon oil again and fry mutton with spices for another 10-12 minutes.
- Keep on scraping the bottom of the pan and fry mutton well. Do not add water when frying the mutton, if required, add tablespoon of oil.
- After frying mutton with dried spices, time to add water. Add approx. 700 ml water in the pan and let one boil come in the gravy.
- Now add 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan, cover it and let mutton cook (undisturbed) for 45 minutes on low flame.
- After 45 minutes, check mutton if cooked well of not. To check mutton, take cold water, dip mutton piece in the cold water and using your fingers check if you are able to press and break mutton easily. If not, cover and cook for another 15-20 minutes. Do add 1 tablespoon of oil & 250 ml water if you need little more gravy.
- After 20 minutes, check again if mutton is cooked well or not. Kachri mutton will take approx. 1 hour to cook to the perfection.
- After mutton is cooked, add lemon juice, mix well. Add desi ghee (do not mix), sprinkle kewada water (do not mix), garnish with chopped coriander and switch off the gas.
- Cover the pan and let mutton rest for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Kachri mutton is ready to be served. Serve hot with rumali roti or tandoori roti or plain roti. You can also eat kachri mutton with boiled rice.
- Marinating mutton is extremely important as this will help mutton to absorb all the flavors and cook without pressure cooker.
- Frying mutton well is another important step as this will give your mutton loads of flavor.
- If you can’t find kachri in the market, you can buy it online. Refer the link below for ordering it online.