Recipe Name – Kathal (jackfruit) shami kebab
Introduction – Kathal (jackfruit) shami kebab recipe is a vegetarian’s delight and this recipe can easily compete with any non veg kebabs in taste.
Not only vegetarian’s but even non veg lovers relish this recipe. So let’s get started.
What all do you need?
- 500 gm – raw jackfruit (kathal) – cut into small pieces
- 200 gm – chana daal (Split Bengal gram)- soaked in water for 2 hours
- 3-4 tablespoon - Finely chopped ginger & garlic
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – to shallow fry kebabs
- Coriander seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Black pepper corn (kaali mirch)– 1 teaspoon
- Clove (laung) – 7
- Green cardamom (hari elachi)– 5
- Dried red chilies – 2
- Bay leaf (tez patta) – 1
- Cumin seeds – 2 teaspoon
- Small mace flower (javitri)
- Pinch of asafetida (heeng)
- Small piece of nutmeg
- Black cardamom – 2-3
- 1 small stick of cinnamon
Ingredients to mix in the kebab dough~
- 2 medium onion – finely chopped
- 2 green chilies – finely chopped
- 1 & ½ tablespoon – finely chopped ginger
- Pinch of black pepper powder
- Dry roast all whole spices (except bay leaf) and grind them coarsely.
- Mix kathal, chana daal, coarsely grinded spices, ginger garlic paste, bay leaf and salt with 2 cup of water and pressure cook them in the pressure cooker for 2-3 whistles.
- Let this mixture get cooled and then grind it in the food processor or mixer grinder or mortar & pestle to make a dough.
- Mix finely chopped onion, green chilies, ginger, black pepper powder and salt (if required) in this dough & mix well.
- Keep the dough in the refrigerator for some time if you feel dough is little loose.
- Make small patties (tikki) of this dough and shallow fry in the oil on low to medium flame till they are nicely fried on the both the sides.
- Serve hot with paratha, onion salad and green chutney in lunch or dinner.
- Do not use too much of water while pressure cooking the jackfruit and chana daal else dough will be too wet to handle.
- If you see some water in the mixture after you open the pressure cooker, ensure to dry the same on high flame.
- Use only raw kathal to get maximum taste. If you feel, seeds of kathal are little hard, remove them before you pressure cook it.
- Keep the dough in the refrigerator and shallow fry kebabs just before serving.
- This dough can be kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.