Recipe Name – Khajoori Bhapa Doi
Introduction – Khajoori bhapa doi is my healthy version of traditional Bengali dessert Bhapa doi. Bhapa means steamed and doi means yogurt. This recipe is healthy because i have not used processed (refined) sugar for making it. So let’s learn this amazing healthy sweet recipe.
What all do we need?
- 250 gm hung curd
- 150 gram deseeded dates (khajoor)
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon agar agar powder
- Sliced almond & pistachios for decoration
- Keep curd in muslin/cheese cloth or strainer overnight to separate water content. Residue will be thick yogurt for making Khajoori bhapa doi.
- Soak deseeded dated in the warm water so that you can grind them easily. We need a smooth paste of dates.
- Mix agar agar powder in the warm milk and mix well.
- Take a bowl and mix hung curd and dates paste together. Ensure to mix well so that there are no lumps.
- Now add milk in the hung curd and dates mixture and again mix well to make smooth mixture.
- Now take a pan and grease it using melted butter and pour your khajoori bhapa doi mixture in it. Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- It’s time to steam our bhapa doi. Take a big vessel, add water in it and let it boil.
- Moment water starts boiling, put a ring or stand in the water to keep your bhapa doi pan over it. Ensure water is not touching bhapa doi pan as we need to steam it.
- Cover the vessel and let your bhapa doi stream for 30 min over medium high heat.
- After 30 minutes, switch off the gas and keep your khajoori bhapa doi pan in the refrigerator for at least 3-4 hours. You can also keep it in the refrigerator overnight as bhapa doi is served chilled.
- After bhapa doi is completely chilled, turn it on the plate.
- Before you turn it over the plate, ensure to tap the sides of pan lightly so that you can easily turn it on the plate.
- After you turn it on the plate, decorate using sliced almond and pistachios and serve chilled.
- If you want to cut down on processed sugar then this light dessert is the perfect choice for you.
- Agar agar powder is the vegetarian gelatin and used to set the desserts. You may not get it easily in the market so better order online.
- Do not throw away water in which dates were soaked, instead use it while grinding dates to make a smooth paste.