Recipe Name – Lebanese Nights, aka "Layali Lubnan"
Introduction – Layali Lubnan, translated to Lebanese Nights is a very popular dessert throughout the Middle East. It is a milk based semolina (rava/ suji) pudding that is topped with milk pudding called “Astha cream” & decorated with pistachios. This simple yet flavorful dessert can surely win your heart over. So let’s get started.
What all do you need?
For Layali Lubnan (milk & semolina pudding)
- 1 liter full fat milk
- 1 cup semolina (sooji)
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon edible rose water
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
For Astha cream (milk pudding)
- 5 liter full fat milk
- 2-3 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ liter full fat milk
- ½ cup corn starch
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon edible rose water
- 2 teaspoon orange blossom water
- Pistachios (powder & whole) for decoration
Method - For Layali Lubnan (milk & semolina pudding)
- On medium heat, mix milk, semolina, sugar, rose & orange blossom water.
- Keep on mixing it till mixture starts bubbling & thickening.
- Now transfer this mixture in the tray and keep it in the refrigerator to set.
Method - For Astha cream (milk pudding)
- Keep 1.5 liter milk on gas and moment it is hot, mix lemon juice for milk to curdle.
- When soft cheese (paneer/chena) is separated from milk, strain cheese using cheese cloth or strainer.
- Now take another ½ liter milk, mix corn starch, sugar, rose & orange blossom water in it. Mix all these ingredients off the heat.
- Now keep it on gas on medium heat and keep on mixing it till mixture reaches thick and smooth consistency.
- Switch off the gas and remove this mixture from the heat and mix fresh cheese (paneer/chena) in it and mix well.
- You can also beat this mixture using electric beater to achieve smooth consistency of astha.
- Now pour astha cream (milk pudding) on top of Layali lubnan (milk & semolina pudding) and spread well.
- Decorate with pistachios and serve cold after cutting into equal size pieces.
- You can increase sugar in the Layali lubnan & astha cream as per your taste.
- Instead of astha cream on top of layali lubnan, you can also use whipped cream as topping.
- You can order orange blosson water online if not available in the market nearby.
- Always use edible rose water in recipe.
- If astha cream consistency is not coming right, you can add little bit of milk to get the right consistency.