Recipe Name – Moist Gingerbread Cake
Gingerbread cake was originated in Greece and later on adopted in Europe and today it is famous worldwide. Use of spices, ginger and molasses make it unique in flavor and warm in nature. This recipe is must try in winter season. So, let’s get started.
What all do we need?
- 260 gm (2 cup) – Refined flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 & ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 & ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- ¼ teaspoon cloves powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly finely chopped ginger or crystalized ginger
- 115 gm (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 110 gm (1/2 cup) light brown sugar
- 50 gm (1/4 cup) white granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) molasses
- 240 ml (1 cup) milk
- 8 inch square cake tin or 9 inch round tin
** Check Molasses recipe in the Tips & Tricks Section below
- Sift all dry ingredients refined flour, baking soda & powder, salt, all grounded spices together.
- In a separate bowl beat room temperature butter with brown and white sugar for 2-3 min.
- Add eggs 1 by 1 and beat to incorporate.
- Now add molasses and beat to incorporate. You may notice batter looking curdled after adding molasses, don't worry, it will not impact cake flavor.
- Now add dry sifted ingredients in 3 batches with room temperature milk. Add milk also in batches and beat using electric beater to incorporate.
- At last, add ginger and mix well.
- Pour batter in the prepared cake tin and level well. Don’t forget to grease and line your cake tin using butter and parchment paper. Tap the cake tin to release extra air from the batter.
- Preheat your oven on 180 degree Celsius and bake the cake for 35-40 min on 180 degree Celsius. Do check your cake using tooth pick to understand if cake is baked to the perfection or not.
- Take out the cake from the oven and let sit in the pan for 15-20 minutes before demolding.
- Dust powdered (icing) sugar or glaze using icing sugar and lemon juice after cake is completely cool.
- Store in the air tight container or room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Tip & Tricks:
- You can make molasses at home or can buy online. Check out the molasses recipe below
How to make Molasses at home:
- Take 165 gm (1 cup) powdered jaggery in the heavy bottom pan, add 150 ml water and let it come to the boil on medium heat.
- Moment it starts to boil, put the flame on low and let it simmer for 7-8 minutes till you see nice thick golden brown syrup. Do not keep on heat for longer else it will become too thick. Consistency of molasses should be pourable.
- Remove from heat and let it cool down completely before using in the cake.
To buy online, check out Amazon.in link below: