Recipe Name – Pita bread
Introduction – Pita bread is very famous Middle Eastern bread and enjoyed all over the world. It is very versatile and eaten in many forms like pita pockets sandwich, pita chips in the salads, pita rolls etc. Let’s learn this awesome recipe today.
What all do you need?
- Refined flour - 2 cups
- Whole wheat flour - ¾ cups
- Active dry yeast - ½ teaspoon
- Sugar - 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil – 2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 1 cup
- First of all activate yeast. Take warm water in the cup, mix sugar and dry yeast and let it sit in the warm place for 5-10 minutes. When yeast is activated you will bubbles and kind of froth on the surface of water. Do not use hot water, it has to be warm.
- In another bowl take refined flour, whole wheat flour, salt and mix well together and add olive oil and yeast mixture and mix well.
- Now on the kitchen top sprinkle some flour and start kneading the dough. Knead the dough for at least 8-10 minutes. Initially dough may feel sticky to you but kneading will make it smooth.
- Now we will have to keep the dough for proofing. Take a bowl, pour some olive oil in it and cover your dough with this oil and cover the bowl with plastic wrap and keep it in the warm place for at least 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, you will see dough has risen double in size. Sprinkle little flour on top and knock it down to remove the air. And knead it for another 2 -3 minutes.
- Now cut the dough in equal portions for rolling pita bread.
- Roll the bread with little flour. Thickness should be around quarter of an inch, size is dependent on you.
- Sprinkle little flour on kitchen top or tray and keep your rolled bread there covered with damp cloth for second proofing. It will take approx. 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, pre heat your microwave oven on 230 degree.
- Once 2nd proofing is done, transfer your pita bread in the preheated oven and bake for 2-3 min on 230 degree Celsius.
- Pita will puff up like a balloon which means they are done.
- Remove from oven and cover with kitchen towel so that they remain soft.
- Enjoy with hummus and salad or make pita sandwiches using the pita pockets.
- Ensure using warm water for activating yeast. If water is too hot, yeast will die and if water is not warm enough yeast will not get activated.
- To test right temp of water, pour some water on your wrist and it should not hurt you, it should feel warm enough.
- You can also make pita on griddle but it has to be really hot when you transfer pita on it else pita will not puff up.
- Do not worry if pita does not puff up, it can still be enjoyed with hummus.
- Do not use too much flour while kneading the dough else dough may become little tight and pita will not be soft.
- Kneading the dough well is very important for gluten to form so do not compromise on this step.
- If you are not using all the dough in one go, you can keep it in refrigerator and can make pita whenever required. But 2nd proofing is important for dough to come on room temp and pita to puff.
- You can also store pita bread in the fridge and can consume after reheating on the griddle or microwave.
- You can even fry pita bread and use as crotons in the salad for crunch.