Recipe Name – Puff pastry ~ Aloo patties
Introduction – Some recipes gives so much satisfaction and happiness when achieved that it is almost beyond words to explain. One of such recipe for me is Puff pastry patties. I love making puff pastry sheet and want to share the same with you today. So let’s get started.
What all do we need?
For Puff pastry dough:
- 250 gm maida (refined flour)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoon oil
- 125 gm margarine
For Patties filling:
- Boiled potatoes – 3-4
- Chopped ginger - ½ teaspoon
- Chopped green chilies - ½ teaspoon
- Red chili powder - ½ teaspoon
- Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
- Amchoor (dried mango) powder - ½ teaspoon
- Cumin powder - ½ teaspoon
- Fennel seeds (sauf) - ½ teaspoon
- Kashmiri red chili powder (for color) - ½ teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped green coriander
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
Preparing puff pastry dough:
- First of all knead the dough with Maida, salt, oil and water and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. Dough should not be too tight or to loose.
- Now divide margarine in 3 equal parts (Approx. 41 gm each part).
- Soften margarine using fork or beater and ensure there are no lumps.
- Now roll the dough in rectangle shape, take one part of margarine and spread equally all over and sprinkle dry maida on top.
- Now fold the dough inside like a book. Half from one side and half from another side and again fold and make it look like a small rectangle stack. (pls watch my video to understand this process completely.
- Wrap this folded dough stack using plastic wrap in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, take out the dough and again roll it in the same shape using a rolling pin.
- Now take second part of the margarine, spread it equally all over the rolled dough, sprinkle dry maida on top and again fold using same method explained above. Again cover it using plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, take out the dough. Roll it in the same shape for the 3rd time and spread 3rd part of the margarine equally all over and sprinkle dry maida on top.
- Again fold the dough in the same way and wrap it in the plastic wrap for keeping in the refrigerator. And now we will move for making the patty filling.
Preparing Patties filling:
- Heat the oil in the pan and add fennel seeds, ginger, green chilies and saute. Now add rest of the spices and once spices are fried properly, add mashed potatoes and salt and cook on high flame.
- Once potatoes are ready, add green coriander & mix well. Filling is ready.
- Let the filling come to the room temperature before using it.
Final step – Making aloo patties
- Take out the dough from the refrigerator, roll it in the rectangle shape. Cut the borders using a knife or pizza cutter. This is important for pastry layers to open up while baking.
- Preheat your microwave oven on 200 degree Celsius.
- Cut the dough in the small square or whichever shape you like.
- Now take small amount of filling, keep it inside the rolled pastry cut out sheet and fold the sheet (do not press or stick the boarder together). Just fold it lightly. Do check out my video to understand this process.
- Prepare all your patties in the same way. Brush the top using melted butter and bake your patties in the preheated oven for 25-30 on 200 degree Celsius.
- Crispy and flaky Aloo patties are ready to be served. Serve hot with tomato ketchup or chutney.
- I have personally experimented that margarine gives far better result as compared to dalda or butter. So I would strongly recommend using margarine.
- You may not get margarine easily in the market but you can order it online. View my video to see the brand I have used.
- Puff pastry can be stored in the freezer for up to 1 month. All you need to do is cover it using butter paper or parchment paper and store. Whenever you want to use it, take it out, let it come to room temperature and use.
- Cutting rolled puff pastry dough boarder is very important as this step will allow layers of patty to open up and result will be amazing.
- When filling your patty, do not press the pastry or press the corners to stick together. You just have to fold it lightly else puff pastry will not bake to the perfection.
- I have used potato filling, you can use anything of your choice including keema, Paneer, scrambled egg or half boiled egg with masala. But ensure that your filling is dry else patties will become soggy inside.