Recipe Name : Raw Papaya Salad ~ Famous Thai Salad Som Tum
Raw papaya salad also known as Som tum is very famous salad from Southeast Asia. This salad has all the elements to enjoy. It is spicy, crunchy, sweet & sour with the goodness of raw papaya. In Thailand, fish sauce and dried shrimps are used in this salad but I have slightly changed the original recipe to make it vegetarian friendly. I love the taste & crunch of this simple yet flavorful salad. And want you guys to also try this recipe once. So let’s get started.
What all do we need?
- Grated raw papaya 2 cups
- Green beans 5-6
- Cherry tomatoes 8-9
- Garlic pods 4-5
- Green chilies 3-4
- Palm sugar 2 tablespoon
- Spring onion 1 tablespoon - optional
- Lemon juice 1-1 & ½ tablespoon
- Soy sauce ½ tablespoon
- Roasted peanuts 2-3 tablespoon
- Lettuce leaves
- Peel & clean raw papaya seeds properly. Wash papaya & then grate using box grater.
- Cut green beans in approx. 1 inch piece and blanch them in the boiling water for approx. 1 minute. You can also use them raw as well.
- Clean and cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Crush garlic pods, sugar & green chilies together using mortar pestle.
- Dilute soy sauce with 2 tablespoon of water.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of diluted soy sauce, lemon juice & chopped spring onion (optional) in the crushed green chilies, sugar & sugar paste & mix well till the time sugar is dissolved completely. Salad sauce is ready
- Now add grated raw papaya and green beans in the prepared sauce and mix well and lightly crush raw papaya.
- Transfer the salad into the bowl, add cherry tomatoes & roasted peanuts, little bit of salt and mix everything really well.
- Serve raw papaya salad on top of lettuce leaves, garnish with some more peanuts and enjoy fresh.
Tips & tricks:
- If you do not have pal sugar available, you can use normal white or brown sugar instead.
- Instead of cherry tomatoes, you can you normal tomatoes.
- Instead of lettuce, you can use soft cabbage leaves.