Recipe Name – Navratri Special ~ Vrat ki Aloo Kadhi
In India, Fasting during Navratri is considered very auspicious. Traditionally, consuming cereals & pulses are not allowed in Navratri’s fast so devotees consume food items which are allowed like Kuttu ka aata, singhade ka atta etc.
This simple, quick & yummy kadhi is made using Singhade ka atta (water chestnut flour) and curd with some allowed spices. This recipe does not take much of an effort and can be prepared quickly. So, do try this yummy Vrat ki Aloo Kadhi during this Navratra's.
What all do we need?
- Water chestnut (Singhada) flour – 2 tablespoon
- Curd – 200 gm (approx. 1 cup)
- Clarified butter (ghee) – 2 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds (Jeera) – 1 teaspoon
- Dried red chili – 2
- Chopped ginger – 1 teaspoon
- Chopped green chili – 1
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper powder – a pinch
- Potato – 1 medium size
- Sendha namak (rock salt) – Approx. 1 teaspoon
- Ghee (2 tablespoon) & Kashmiri red chili (1/2 teaspoon) for Rogan garnishing - optional
- Peel & cut the potato in long slices & keep them in water to avoid oxidization.
- Add curd, 1 & ½ cup of water & 1 teaspoon of sedha namak in the water chestnut flour (sighara atta) and mix really well. Ensure there are not lumps and the consistency is watery.
- In the cooking pan, heat the ghee and crackle jeera. Then add dried red chilli, chopped green chilies, ginger and saute. Keep the gas flame on low to medium.
- Now add red chili, coriander & black pepper powder & sliced potato in the cooking pan and mix everything well. Add little sedha namak & 3-4 tablespoon of water which will help potato to cook.
- Now cover the cooking pan and let potato cook for about 5 minute. Do not overcook the potatoes else they will become mushy.
- Check potato after 5 minute and then add flour, curd & water mixture in the cooking pan.
- Keep the flame on low to medium and let kadhi cook for 10-12 minute or till it reached desired consistency. Do add water if you like your kadhi little watery. Keep stirring the kadhi while it is cooking to avoid sticking in the pan.
- Once kadhi is ready, remove from the flame and prepare ghee & Kashmiri red chili rogan for garnishing the kadhi.
- For rogan, heat 2 tablespoon of ghee and let it cool down to luke warm temperature and then add Kashmiri red chili or kutti red chili (1/2 teaspoon) and mix well.
- Sprinkle this rogan on top of kadhi when serving. Rogan is an optional step so you can skip it and can simply garnish your kadhi with green coriander.
- Simple, quick and tasty Vrat ki Aalo kadhi is ready to be served. You can enjoy this kadhi with Kuttu or Singhade ki roti/paratha or Sama ke rice during navratri.