Recipe Name – Masoor ki daal ka besan
This recipe is one old rustic recipe from my mom’s kitchen. Recently, when I had visited my home town, my Bhabhi (sis in law) made this and I instantly recalled my childhood days. After coming back, I requested my mother to teach me this recipe and here I offer this rustic yet yummy recipe to you. This recipe is so versatile that you can eat it in breakfast, lunch or dinner. Do refer pictures to follow the recipe.
What all do you need?
- Masoor Daal (Dhuli)– 250 gm
- Onion/Ginger/Garlic paste – 3 tablespoon
- Tomato – on large
- Green chilies – 2 (can increase as per preference)
- Spices (Whole) – Cumin seeds (Jeera) 2 teaspoon
- Spices (Powdered)
- Garam Masala (whole spices mix) – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric – ½ teaspoon
- Coarsely grinded coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Red chili powder 1 teaspoon
- Dried mango powder (Amchoor powder) – 1-2 teaspoon (as per taste)
- Salt (as per taste)
- Mustard Oil – 1 cup (approx.)
- Soak Masoor daal in water for 2 hours minimum.
- Grind soaked daal on mortar & pastel or mixer grinder. Consistency of this mixture will be thin like dosa batter. (refer picture).
- Now mix salt in this batter and cook it till the time mixture is thick with the consistently to spread it on the plate. While cooking this mixture, keep on stirring it so that it should not stick to the pan.
- Grease a plate with oil and spread this mixture (1.5 cm) high. Press it with your hands and use little oil on your hands before pressing the mixture as it is sticky.
- Let this spread mixture cool down for 15-20 minutes and then cut into piece using a knife.
- Heat the mustard oil in the frying pan (kadhai), let it smoke and add cumin seeds. Then add onion, ginger & garlic paste. Fry till the paste is leaving oil.
- Now add dried spices and tomato paste and fry again.
- Now add daal pieces and fry on high flame. Do not let piece break so do not overuse your spatula.
- Garnish daal ka besan with chopped green chilies and green coriander & serve hot.
Tips & tricks:
- While cooking the daal batter, continuous stirring is important else mixture will stick to the bottom’s pan.
- You can increase or decrease spices as per your preference.
- You can also serve this dish with paratha and chutney.