Recipe Name – Swiss roll
Introduction – A Swiss roll also called jelly or cream roll is a kind of sponge cake filled with jam, cream or chocolate. It is very versatile & quick to make recipe. You can enjoy it in the breakfast or during tea time.
What all do you need?
- Plain flour (maida) – 105 gm
- Caster sugar – 105 gm
- Eggs – 3 medium size
- Mixed fruit jam – 120 gm
- Small amount of butter – for lining the baking tray
- Lemon juice – 1 tea spoon
- Baking tray – 31 cm X 22 cm in size
- Microwave oven
- First of all, make your baking tray ready. Grease the tray with butter and line the side and bottom with parchment paper.
- Take a large bowl and beat eggs & sugar together. Before you start beating the eggs, add few drops of lemon juice. Add sugar 1 spoon at a time while beating the eggs.
- After eggs & sugar mixture is ready and doubled in size, sift flour in two batches and fold the flour in the mixture. Do not mix it rigorously. We do not want to lose the air that we had created in the eggs & sugar mixture.
- After your batter is ready and mixed properly, pour it in your baking tray. Ensure to level the batter evenly using spatula or spoon with light hands.
- Now keep the tray in the preheated microwave oven for 6-7 min on 200 degree Celsius. Pre-heating will also be done on 200 degree Celsius.
- While your sponge is baking, prepare kitchen towel & parchment paper for the rolling process of Swiss roll sponge.
- Place parchment paper on clean kitchen towel and sprinkle some caster sugar on it.
- After 7 minutes, check your cake sponge by inserting a tooth pick if it’s done. If tooth pick comes out clean, you are home J
- Remove it carefully from the oven and unmold on top of parchment paper that we had prepared with caster sugar.
- Now carefully, roll it tightly but with gentle hands and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Once the roll is cooled completely, unroll it and spread jam on it and carefully roll it again without parchment paper.
- Cut into neat pieces and serve it with hot tea or coffee or have it just like that.
- Ensure eggs & sugar mixture is doubled in size post beating it. It is important for making the soft sponge for Swiss roll.
- Adding lemon juice helps in the process of creating soft peaks in the eggs & sugar mixture.
- Always line your tin/tray before you start to mix the batter.
- Pre-heating the oven is important as it gives desired temperature to the sponge when it is ready to go inside.
- Don’t use high temperature to fasten up the baking. Desired temperature will ensure sponge is baked to the perfection without getting burnt outside yet soggy inside.
- Use gentle hands while rolling the sponge. If you notice cracks while unrolling it, do not worry as it is very common. This will not hamper the taste of Swiss roll.