Introduction – Bedmi Poori’s are made using coarsely grind Urad daal paste & wheat flour. Today, I am sharing my mom’s recipe of U.P style Bedmi Poori and I can assure you that these poori’s never cease to satiate your soul. They are served with aalo ki tari wali sabzi and aachaar (boiled potato spicy curry and pickle). Let’s learn this simple yet hearty recipe.
What all do we need?
- 2 cup wheat flour (approx. 250 gm)
- 100 gm Urad daal (Split black gram de-husked) – Soaked overnight
- 1 & ½ tablespoon fennel powder (Sauf)
- 1 & ½ tablespoon Coriander powder (daniya)
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (Mixed indian spices)
- Salt as taste
- ¼ teaspoon heeng (Asafetida)
- Coarsely grind soaked Urad daal in the mixer grinder.
- Heat oil in the kadhai (cooking pot) and add all dry spices (excluding salt) and quickly add urad daal and mix well and fry daal with spices. Keep on scraping the Kadhai as urad daal sticks very easily.
- Once daal is properly fried, switch off the gas and let daal cool down a bit.
- Now add wheat flour in the fried daal and mix well. Ensure there are no lumps in the mixture.
- After mixing fried daal and flour, its time to add salt as per taste.
- Now knead the dough using water and let dough rest for 15 minutes before making Poori’s.
- Heat the enough oil in the Kadhai (cooking pot) for frying poori’s.
- Take small portion of dough and make poori (roll out the bread) using rolling pin. Use oil to avoid dough sticking while rolling.
- Once oil is hot enough, slowly put rolled poori (bread) in it and it will pop like a balloon once ready. Fry on both side till golden brown.
- Bedmi poori is ready to be served with boiled potato curry and pickle of your choice.
- Enjoy hot bedmi poori’s with friends and family.
How to make Aalo Sabzi?
- Do not mix all wheat flour with urad daal paste in one go as the consistency of Poori’s will not be crispy. Mix as required. Approx 200 gm wheat flour will be required for 100 gram urad daal paste.
- You can store bedmi poori dough in the refrigerator for up-to 1 week.